Friday, August 21, 2009


I decided to close my little shop in the Lower Haight.

Bluebird brought great things to me. All sorts of kind Lower Haight neighbors came into my life - like sweet Kati Kim at Doe, Jean from Xapno, Sarah from Life, Harry from 683 Haight St, Martin and the rest of the Vapor Room Cooperative, the Idle Hand hotties, all the pretty girls from Edo and Wak Shack, and most importantly, that total fox at Groove Merchant. The shop also showed my girls that taking a chance ain't no big thing - and it's always better to try than to think about trying.

So... all in all - it was a worthwhile two year run. I could tell you I'm closing to "pursue other creative endeavors" or "need to spend more time with my family" but really, it's just a feeling in my bones. Time to just relax for a little while.

Although I felt extremely supported and encouraged by the community, now more than ever we need to show our support for local businesses, designers and local artists. Small bookstores, record stores, clothing shops, anything that keeps our neighborhoods interesting. Hells. I know Forever 21 has got cute dresses - and its a sure thing when you're in a pinch, but it doesn't look that good by the end of the night and it's probably made by small children and your purchase doesn't come with friendly conversation.

I'm keeping the ETSY store open. And I'm still doing a number of interior decorating jobs, which I love. Starting September 22nd, be sure to check Bluebird on ETSY every Monday morning for our latest vintage treasures. I won't be adding new stuff for the next 3 weeks - I'm taking a little vacation. But, the online shop will be packed with new stuff on September 22nd.

I love all my customers and everyone I've met over the past couple years at 214 Pierce Street. Thank you all my supporters, all you sexy local designers making cool stuff, all my nice Yelp reviewers and all you lovely ladies who sat and chatted with me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i will miss bluebird! so glad to hear that your etsy shop will still be open and you're taking some time for yourself. some of my favorite dresses are from your store, and they are the kind that i will hold onto forever and pass down to my daughters one day. best of luck!

Brenna said...

I will miss bluebird so much! I have to tell you, as I tell everyone I meet in this city, that your little store around the corner was truly my favorite store in this entire city, maybe ever.

Every piece I ever got from you is not just an article of clothing, but they are piece of artwork and wonderful pieces that will stay in my collection forever! Everything about your store put a smile on my face, I will miss walking by and just gazing into the windows and stopping by to just say hi and dig through your $5 bin =)

I wish all of the best of luck you!! You are such an amazing, beautiful artist! Enjoy your new ride and embrace all the exciting adventures coming your way! Thank you so much for bringing diversity, color, and joy into my closet!

I'll still be buying on Etsy =)

Hopefully see you around in the neighborhood, eating popcicles with your daughters at Mickey's Monkey! haha so cute!

All the peace and love and joy to you!

Brenna & Claire

b. nice said...

oh, best of luck to you! i moved away from the hood to portland this summer, but your store was a source of inspiration and i always enjoyed peering in the windows of your shoppe while walking my bike up pierce st. after hours. and i can say i even enjoyed chatting with you once or twice as well, and getting a nice story to go with my vintage find! glad to know i will be able to find you on etsy. have a nice vacay!
cheers!

Bluebird Shop said...

Thank you thank you, friends. You are what I will miss most about closing the shop.

Stephanie

Without Melissa said...

you've been my very favorite shop since the day I moved to SF - Stephanie. I will miss running my hands over the racks of your gorgeous little shop, but don't think for a second that I won't be stalking your etsy page.

and more than anything, i would really really love to stay in touch with you. I think you are a rare gem and the sort of girl that I just like being able to find when I need a good reminder on how to be a grown up and young at heart - classic and cool all at the same time.

with love,
M

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

I admire you for following your heart :) Best of luck with your future endeavors and the etsy shop!!

khamees said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
molly said...

oh, dude, i had no idea. i still talk about your shop to people... and now i know.
wishing you the best in all new adventures, steph.

Anonymous said...

Endings are just the beginning to something else.
Good luck :)

By the way, I'm loving your blog...
Check out mine. I think you'd especially love it:

http://theboyfriendshopper.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

naice..:) :)


check out my sketches and my photographs at my blog

Anonymous said...

I'm from San Francisco too and am bummed because of the closing. I actually was reading an interesting article about a brand called CPShades, they are based in Sausalito and only have two shops, one in Santa Monica and Soho. They don't have mirrors in their dressing room because the fabric is so amazing they want you to truly enjoy what you are wearing without having to see yourself in it. They were around in the 90's and made famous the ripped sweater in the film Footloose, then they took a break and are back again!

www.cpshades.com

Leah said...

BEST. JOB. EVER.

I will always love you, Bluebird. You don't even know how you continue to inspire me.

XOXO